Placing a bet on your favorite horse can be easy and fun. Take a look at some helpful tips that will get you ready for your next visit to Fairmount Park.
Tip 1: Grab a race program. The race program lists each of the races taking place that day, as well as, the horse's name, post position, what the purse is for each race, the horse's race history and more. This can be very helpful to you as you make your pick.
Tip 2: Review the odds for each horse and determine whether you want to go with the odds or against the odds.
Tip 3: Watch the horses as they are presented to get a feeling for their behavior and how they are acting that day.
Tip 4: Choose your wagering method. The minimum bet is $2. Here are some of the basic wagering options you may want to explore:
- Win – Select the horse you believe will come in first place
- Place – Select the horse you believe will come in first or second place
- Show – Select the horse you believe will come in first, second or third place
- Exacta – Select the two horses that you believe will come in first and second place in a specific order
- Trifecta – Select the three horses that you believe will come in first, second and third place in a specific order
Tip 5: Have fun! While it can be complicated, the clerks at Fairmount Park are always happy to answer your questions.